Oak Hill School - Eugene, Oregon
Oak Hill School is an independent private school (www.oakhillschool.net) founded in 1994, and is located on 72 wooded acres in Eugene, Oregon. The school currently serves 211 students in grades K-12, organized into two divisions, upper and lower schools, and also operates a full summer program. OHS provides the best K-12 education, creating caring and responsible critical thinkers.
Oak Hill School is the largest independent private school in Lane County and is located in a progressive university town. The school is characterized by a community of involved parents a caring faculty and staff who are positive and supportive of the student community. The school is a rewarding place to work both personally and professionally. Over the fast few years, several new educational facilities have been constructed and the school has shown consistent growth over the past decade. The school is accredited by the Northwest Association of Independent Schools and is a full member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
Oak Hill School seeks a full time Business Manager to start in July 2017. This is a tremendous opportunity to be an integral part of a strong and positive leadership team in a thriving independent school. Reporting to the Head of School and working closely with the Board of Trustees, the Business Manager is responsible for oversight of the school’s finances and campus operation. The successful candidate must have a very strong financial analysis background, a record of leadership and personal skills to work constructively with a wide range of individuals. The school has a yearly operating budget of over $3 million and awards over $700,000 annually in financial aid.
The Business Manager has overall supervision and responsibility for the following five areas of the school’s operations
Financial Planning and Budgeting
Establishes a budget and builds transparency around financial performance. Creates a forward looking lens through budget modelling. Balances the delivery of short-term performance while ensuring long-term financial sustainability. Assists in planning effectively for the long term financial viability of the school. Develops a financial plan in support of the existing strategic plan.
Involved in the establishment and administration of policies regarding financial aid and tuition assistance. Ensures effective accounts receivable management as well as collection of delinquencies.
Accounting and Audit
Establishes and reviews financial management policies and processes. Assesses internal controls and procedures relating to purchasing activities, donations, and cash receipts. Ensures the accurate and timely recording of all expenditures and revenues. Prepares for the annual audit.
Human Resources and Employment Law
Assists in creating a culture where employees feel valued and honored for the work they do. Oversees compensation, benefits administration, personnel practices related to hiring and training, safety and wellness program s and applicable regulatory compliance.
Facilities and Auxiliary Services
Plans and maintains facilities and programs in support of the school’s mission. Oversees facilities, transportation and food service management to ensure adequacy, and compliance with regulatory requirements. Maintains a highly regarded summer program.
Ensures comprehensive risk management practices and policies aimed at protecting and safeguarding the assets of the school and its employees and students. Allocates resources to critical areas of risk. Ensures adequate insurance coverage.
Business Manager Responsibilities:
- Using standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures, to keep an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school and manage the financial operation of the school so that the institution remains financially stable. This includes processing of tuition, bank deposits, monthly statements to lender, reconciliation of accounts and balance sheets with school's accounting system, entering accounts payable, check requests and processing cash disbursements, preparing payroll using outside payroll service.
- To ensure the timely collection of all receivables
- To prepare general journal adjustments, accruals and review trial balance in order to prepare monthly Profit & Loss Statement
- To prepare Monthly budget vs. actual analysis, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Report for board of trustees.
- To assist the Finance Committee of the Board with development of the annual budget, year-end financials and schedules needed by auditing or reviewing accounting firm.
- To oversee all procurement of school equipment and supplies.
- To oversee human resources administration including selection, retention, and separation of staff, benefits, and insurance policies.
- To manage risk at the school to ensure the safety of personnel and students in their use of the facilities and to maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school.
- To oversee school transportation, including transportation contracts and to assess the performance of the transportation companies.
- To oversee the annual enrollment and re-enrollment process including preparation of financial aid offers, creation and tracking of Enrollment Agreement and tuition deposits and payments.
- To supervise and coordinate the work of the Business Operations Coordinator.
- To supervise and assist the Registrar in the implementation of duties.
- To supervise and assist the Facilities Director in the implementation of duties
- To supervise and assist the Athletic Director in the implementation of duties
- To ensure the effective management of the food-service operation and any other auxiliary enterprises of the school.
- To assist the head of school with decisions regarding salaries and benefits for all personnel, including the evaluation of support staff.
- To represent the school at various regional, state, and national associations relative to the role of being the business manager.
- To perform other duties as assigned by the head of school.
- To support the school and its leadership.