Administration & Management
Responsible for planning, directing, coordinating and managing daily operations individual organization units, clinical research facilities, centers or academic departments. Responsibilities are diverse and general in nature and may reflect more than one functional area.
Provides various office and location support activities. Identifies, enhances, and follows specific processes and procedures to maximize the efficiencies of the University to which the support is being provided; ensures the correct functioning of facilities, office and/or business support services. Note that B5 job level is restricted to direct support of an Officer or Dean.
B4: Has developed expertise in a variety of work processes or activities typically developed through a combination of job-related training and considerable on-the-job experience. Typically acts as a lead, coordinating the work of others - but not a supervisor. Works autonomously within established procedures and practices.
The job provides confidential and high-level office and location support activities by acting as a lead and coordinating the work of others. Identifies, enhances, and applies specific processes and procedures to maximize the efficiencies of the University to which the support is being provided. May ensure the correct functioning of facilities, office and/or business support services.
1) Provides confidential and high-level administrative support for a leader. Stays informed of activities relating to University programs and initiatives, apprising the leader of issues when deemed necessary. Coordinates information flow from leader's office to University. May staff Board of Directors meetings. Relieves leaders of administrative responsibilities., 2) Initiates correspondence and other written materials under own signature or for signature of the leader. Triages emails and telephone calls for action. Resolves routine and complex inquiries. May act as liaison to Board of Directors., 3) Prepare special reports and summaries, assists in managing daily operation of the office, and may assist in developing administrative goals and policies. Maintains the leader's calendar, exercising considerable discretion and judgment as to priorities and effective use of the leader's time., 4) Coordinates special projects as directed by the leader. Prepares write ups for recommendations for operational and administrative problems. May manage a portion of the leader's budget, monitoring and reconciling accounts. Prepares financial and/or administrative reports., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
The position plans, coordinates, and oversees functions pertaining to the operation of the school’s student bus service program with a primary goal of delivering safe, efficient, and economical student transportation. Coordinates the student bus service for the school year as well as the summer program for morning arrivals and afternoon departures servicing over 300 students in diverse areas throughout the city. Establishes and maintains routes with outside vendor; communicates with families, bus vendor employees, and school employees regarding bus-related issues; oversees daily bus attendance and student transitions; maintains webpage and communicates updates timely and appropriately using established protocols; manages resources and schedules; and prepares billing information.
1) Establishes and maintains a positive relationship with students, parents, guardians, contracted vendors, and employees.
2) Establishes and monitors safe and efficient transportation routes.
3) Organizes the logistics of buses, routes, schedules, riders, and staff efficiently and effectively while maintaining the school’s safety standards for students and employees.
4) Oversees and coordinates the supervision of the transition time between classroom and the bus departure.
5) Communicates bus policies and procedures with families and employees via email, webpage, and other established sources.
6) Establishes and maintains strong, positive relationships with outside bus service platform vendors; provides and maintains student and school data and audits platform services.
7) Provides accurate, timely communication to families regarding bus service including support for registration process, service platforms, and change notifications.
8) Instructs vendor drivers and monitors on the school’s bus safety procedures.
9) Collects and shares accurate incident reports with school administrators in a timely manner.
10) Coordinates contract management with external bus company.
11) Creates positive relationships with school administrators as it pertains to transportation usage.
12) Adheres to all student bus service policies and procedures.
13) Prepares accurate billing information for student riders.
14) Shares attendance information with appropriate faculty and staff following established protocols.
15) Coordinates student bus attendance procedures.
16) Liaises with the school’s administration and extended day administration to ensure proper care and coordination of student rider schedules for multiple schools and dismissals.
17) As a part of the Finance and Operations team, provides backup support and assistance for other team coordinators as needed in other capacities including event support, team communications, and program delivery.
1) Plan, organize, and direct school bus transportation services efficiently and effectively.
2) Effective verbal and written communication skills.
3) Work independently and efficiently.
4) Deal competently with a number of tasks at one time.
5) Coordinate with administrators and employees across multiple divisions.
6) Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
7) Detail oriented with strong organizational, planning, and scheduling abilities.
8) Understand and support institutional needs, goals, and culture.
9) Must have a positive and professional demeanor; support a positive culture within the schools and with families.
10) Recognize, independently resolve, or refer matters, as appropriate.
11) Prioritize tasks and meet strict deadlines.
12) Identify problems and proactively find solutions.
Minimum requirements include vocational training, apprenticeships or the equivalent experience in related field (not typically required to have a four-year degree).
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 7+ years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Bachelor’s degree in Business, Public Administration, or a related field.
1) At least 2 years of experience working in school operations or 2 years working in a coordinator capacity monitoring transportation services.
2) 1-3 years previous experience in logistics and operations.
3) Previous customer service experience.
Required Documents1) Resume
2) Cover letter
3) Professional References Contact Information
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.