The Center for International Development (CID) at Harvard University is a university-wide center that works to advance the understanding of development challenges and offer viable solutions to problems of global poverty. CID is Harvard's leading research hub focusing on resolving the dilemmas of public policy associated with generating stable, shared, and sustainable prosperity in developing countries. Our ongoing mission is to apply knowledge to and revolutionize the world of development practice.
CID's Growth Lab program has an immediate opening for a full-time Research Assistant to help with a range of research responsibilities. As an important part of our research teams, they will gain valuable experience working with faculty and research fellows on international development research and policy.
The Research Assistant will provide a range of research support to faculty and research fellows working on either country projects or core research. They will often work with data, review research reports, and draft working documents.
They will also interact closely with the Growth Lab's senior management and staff and hence must have excellent communication and organizational skills.
The primary responsibilities of the Research Assistant include, but are not limited to:
· Learn complex research ideas, concepts, and methodologies and proactively apply them to new projects and situations;
· Work closely with Growth Lab research teams in developing working papers, journal articles and presentations;
· Analyze, manage, clean, and create datasets on a range of economic variables and indicators;
· Perform quantitative analysis of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data primarily using Stata under general direction of faculty and fellows to develop, test, and synthesize analytical models as required; and· Conduct literature reviews of relevant academic papers and development policies on specific topics in areas of economic growth theory, structural transformation, governance, and growth diagnostics.
· Collaborate with Growth Lab research teams to provide prompt feedback on policies being proposed by our high-level counterparts, including rapid data analysis;
· Conduct literature reviews and comparative analysis of policies in relevant countries/contexts on topics including, but not limited to, economic growth theory and growth diagnostics, industrial policy, structural transformation, trade and investment regulations, FDI, among others; Contribute to working papers and project reports on project findings, analysis, and policy recommendations; and
· Prepare presentations and policy briefs for internal and external audiences.Other support as needed· Provide support to the Growth Lab's senior management and staff in preparing presentations, editing proposals, preparing workshops and conferences, and managing contacts with external partners. Successful candidates will gain exposure to economic development issues and work alongside a friendly, energetic team in a high-profile, fast-paced office.
Strong orientation to quantitative, data-driven analysis including demonstrated intermediate level experience with statistical software, particularly Stata. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and other applications.Evidence of outstanding academic achievement in coursework involving advanced quantitative analysis and economic concepts.
Proficient at understanding and participating in high-level research, especially with respect to topics relating to international development. Experience conducting data analysis across a range of economic methods, research based on thorough literature reviews, and writing research reports in a range of media from journals to reports to policy briefs.
Exposure to topics such as development economics, growth diagnostics, structural transformation, and the implementation of development projects. Ability to multitask while maintaining excellent attention to detail. Excellent written and communication skills to match tone and content of a variety of presentation platforms for research. Exposure to or experience in advanced statistics and machine learning/NLP techniques and algorithms using R, Python, Java, Spark, H20, , and Tableau etc. a plus. Successful candidate must be highly motivated and detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.