Staten Island New York, New York
USA - MA - Cambridge
USA - MA - Boston
Location: Staten Island New York, New York
Type: Full Time
Job Purpose: The Business Manager reports to the Head of School. He/She assumes responsibility for the management of the fiscal assets of the School, working closely with the Head of School and other Leadership Team members to strategically plan for the future resource needs of the school. The Business Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the Business Office, while also analyzing data and initiating and developing financial models to ensure the short and long term financial health of the school. This position plays a key role in supporting the Board of Trustees as the administrator assigned to the Audit and Finance Committees. The Business Manager is a member of the school’s Leadership Team.
· Supervising the work of the school accountant and Business Office personnel and using standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures, keeping an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school and managing the financial operation of the school.
· Supervising the Director of Physical Plant and maintenance and housekeeping staffs.
· Working with the Buildings and Grounds Committee to monitor and make improvements to the campus and buildings.
· Preparing a monthly operating statement for the Head of School and the Board of Trustees.
· Providing a monthly report of expenditures for use of each individual budget center within the school.
· Establishing a plan and schedule for the preparation of the annual budget that will permit the setting of the succeeding year’s tuition by the Board of Trustees.
· Working with the Financial Aid Committee to calculate financial aid awards.
· Overseeing collection of outstanding tuition.
· Overseeing all school purchasing, financial investments, banking activities and payroll.
· Providing staff support, in conjunction with the Head of School, to the Finance Committee and the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees.
· To assist the Head of School with decisions regarding salaries for all personnel.
· Performing other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
· Supporting the school and its leadership.
· Contracting for, maintaining and complying with governmental regulations regarding all employee benefits.
· Aid in on campus Human Resources support for all employees.
· Assist the Head of School with decisions regarding benefits for all personnel.
· Maintain and update employee handbooks and other human resource requirements.
· Supervise clerical staff, including the development of systems and procedures that best achieve the mission of the school.
· Contract for school office equipment and oversee the office supplies and printing budgets.
· Contract for and supervise the school’s food service.
· Overseeing school transportation and to assess the performance of the transportation companies.
· Develop and update security procedures and supervise the security staff.
· Managing risk at the school to ensure the safety of personnel and students in their use of the facilities and maintaining appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school.
· Provide strategic guidance to the Head of School, Finance Committee, and Board of Trustees with regards to financial sustainability and financial strategies
· Prepare the School's budget and financial model, reviewing, monitoring, and controlling the disbursement of funds as planned therein
· Compile operating budget and capital expenditure requests from school departments
· Seek new sources of revenue and obtain cost savings using effective competitive purchasing, control, and review
· Serve as lead liaison to the Board’s Finance Committee and Audit Committee, executing instructions as related to risk management, investments, and financing and debt
· Supervise the design, implementation, and maintenance of internal controls relevant to the preparation and fair presentation of financial statements and the detection and prevention of fraud
· Oversee the annual financial audit and preparation of U.S. GAAP financial statements and tax returns for the School
· Approve all agreements concerning financial obligations, such as contracts for products or services and other actions requiring a commitment of financial resources
· Provide oversight and implementation of risk management strategies relating to the financial health of the School, including but not limited to accident prevention, fraud and cyber threats, contractual risk, internal fraud, and financial liquidity
· Serve as liaison to insurance companies
· Maintain relationships with financial institutions
· Administer banking arrangements and other financial arrangements
· Monitor all student accounts receivables, loans, and indebtedness
· Insure that all parents are current with tuition payments prior to start of school each year
· Prepare and manage re-enrollment contract holds
· Perform cash management duties including payroll and flex spending transfers, TIAA-CREF account electronic funds transfers
· Supervise Business Office, ensuring compliance with all government regulatory requirements
· Partner with the Development Office on financing strategy and managing the appropriate allocation and disbursement of donations to the School
· Collaborate with Director of Operations and Campus Planning on the financial management of capital projects
· Oversee the Business Office staff ’s accurate and timely execution of all payroll and benefits related operations
· Conduct the annual renewal process for medical, dental, vision insurance, long term disability, and life insurance to insure best terms possible and to thoroughly communicate the benefits to employees
· Review and maintains insurance (using outside sources as necessary) on the physical plant, liability issues, and all other insurance issues
· Update insurance companies on matters that may impact coverage
· Maintain awareness of possible legislative actions and other legal decisions that may affect the School
· Monitor Parent Association finances, including review of budgets, disbursements, annual audit of bank account, and “upstreaming” of funds to School
· Participate in strategic planning efforts as directed by the Head of School
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
· Strong problem-solving and communication skills, with the ability to establish trust
· Demonstrated leadership qualities
· Ability to think ahead and plan over a one- to five-year span
· An ability to devise, prioritize, execute, and achieve results in a complex institutional environment with multiple demands on time and attention
· Superb oral, writing, and public relations skills
· Strong technology and information infrastructure skills
· Consistently exercises discretion and good judgment
· A high level of integrity and ethical standards, a strong work ethic, and a predisposition to kindness
· A commitment to treating all members of the community with respect and consideration, and an interest in working in a mission-driven educational environment
· Collaborative, optimistic, patient, mature, and equipped with a sense of humor
Ability to adhere to the highest level of professionalism by demonstrating honesty, integrity, and maturity