Location: USA - MA - Cambridge
Professor Amitabh Chandra is seeking a skilled and highly motivated individual to work as a full-time research assistant for a period of at least one year. He is an economist doing empirical research related to health care and public economics.
The job will involve close collaboration with Prof. Chandra, his coauthors, and other research assistants, and is designed help the candidate gain skills and experience to prepare for a graduate degree in economics, public policy, or a related discipline. The job is particularly well suited to applicants interested in learning more about health economics and policy. Previous research assistants to Prof. Chandra have gone on to top-ranked PhD programs in economics and public policy. Professor Chandra welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds, particularly women, people of color and other marginalized communities which have historically been underrepresented in the field of economics.
The job is ideal for someone with an enthusiasm for empirical research using a wide range of methods, and the ability and interest to learn new skills and take initiative as a project develops.
- Processes, organizes and summarizes data, reporting results using statistical software (e.g. Stata, R, Python, Julia);
- Reads and summarizes academic literature and assists with exploratory reading and investigations for research projects;
- Makes periodic reports of project status to supervisor or other research team personnel;
- May work with other staff and students in basic research methods or techniques;
- Assists in the design of experiments and tests;
- May perform clerical duties incidental to research tasks or to assist the professors with
- teaching responsibilities;
- May process orders or invoices, or undertake other clerical and simple accounting duties under the direction of administrative personnel.
Bachelor's degree required along with prior experience with research and/or data analysis through
coursework, an academic thesis, or previous research assistant positions.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in economics or another quantitative field preferred.
- Strong computer programming skills, including fluency with Stata, R, Python, or Julia programming is required.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and orally
- Long-term interest in pursuing a PhD in economics
Additional InformationThis position is a fully benefits-eligible term appointment through August 31, 2024 with strong possibility of renewal.
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
This is a hybrid position based on our campus in Cambridge, MA. As a campus-based institution, we place a high value on the in-person experience, cross-team collaboration, and strong community building in order to create a vibrant campus for our students, faculty, staff, and research fellows. The position is required to work in-person on campus a minimum of three days per week during the academic year. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University's COVID-19 Information Website.
Salary Range: $50,122 - $78,291
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate's relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Salary Grade: 053
Union: 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech WorkersCommitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingHarvard Kennedy School's Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Anti-Racism
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership—because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School's commitment to Diversity Equity, and Anti-Racism. EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Connections working at Harvard University Kennedy School
About Harvard University Kennedy School
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.