Location: USA - MA - Cambridge
The Office of Career Services (OCA) at Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) provides primary administrative support for OCA's work with students, alumni, employers, internal Harvard partners, and other stakeholders
In partnership with other members of team, you will oversee day-to-day operation of OCA's jobs and contact database, including contact management, job postings, and reporting. In partnership with Senior Associate Director and Assistant Dean and Director, you will help deliver OCA's two major annual reports – the summer internship survey and the first destination survey.
Database and Systems
- Maintains a welcoming, professional student reception area; staffs OCA front desk; puts together front desk coverage schedule; greets customers (students, employers, HKS faculty/staff, and others)
- Manages HKS student partners program ensuring front desk coverage during business hours; coordinates additional student projects including daily job postings and database updating
- Provides overall office management (facilities, telephone, and office equipment/supplies) to ensure smooth operations of day-to-day workflow
- Oversees financial processes for OCA – ensuring timely payment of invoices, reimbursements, and expense reports; assists other team members with expenses when needed; Gathers and maintains information for office budget reporting
- Provides for smooth flow of communication within OCA including arranging staff meetings, managing internal vacation/workflow/internal calendar, arranging staff retreats, celebrations, etc.
- Arranges travel for invited alumni/guests; offer travel-related support to OCA team members as required
- Assists with event logistics as needed
Data Coordination and Analysis
- Provides administrative support for the OCA career management system for job postings, event RSVP, and updating of employer/contact records in partnership with other team members; Assists with major system updates
- Manages the flow of students for coaching appointments; works with coaching team to ensure accuracy of scheduling system; provides additional calendaring support for team as required
- Prepares and collects summer internship survey and first destination survey. Partners with other team members to design/develop survey tools and to communicate with students on survey completion
- Prepares and organizes raw data into reports that share the story of HKS' students summer and post-graduate employment
- Provides office usage, job, and employer reports to coaching team and ER team as needed
- Contributes to unit goals by accomplishing related duties as required
Basic QualificationsTwo or more years of related administrative experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent organizational skills with particular ability to prioritize work in an environment with multiple and competing interests.
- Demonstrated success in using critical thinking skills and in developing administrative systems that promote efficiency and effective communication/collaboration.
- Proven problem-solving, project and/or program management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including strong writing skills.
- Requires exceptional customer service skills and great attention to detail.
- Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion.
- Great sense of humor and team spirit.
- Strong technical skills including competency using Microsoft Office software required (strong Excel skills strongly preferred); competence with digital survey tools (Qualtrics experience highly desirable).
- Knowledge of Symplicity (or other career management platform) very helpful.
- Prior experience working in student services a plus
Physical RequirementsAble to lift 20lbs
Additional InformationWe regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
This is a hybrid position based on our campus in Cambridge, MA. As a campus-based institution, we place a high value on the in-person experience, cross-team collaboration, and strong community building in order to create a vibrant campus for our students, faculty, staff, and research fellows. The position is required to work in-person on campus a minimum of three days per week during the academic year. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University's COVID-19 Information Website.
Salary Range: $54,340 - $85,675
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate's relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Salary Grade: 054
Union: 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech WorkersCommitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
|Harvard Kennedy School's Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Anti-Racism |
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership—because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School's commitment to Diversity Equity, and Anti-Racism.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Connections working at Harvard University Kennedy School
About Harvard University Kennedy School
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.