Location: USA - MA - Boston
The Senior Director, PGME, reporting to the Sr. Associate Dean for Postgraduate Medical Education, will have the opportunity to lead and expand educational programming across multiple formats, learner levels, and content areas. This individual will be responsible for managing a team of 40+ people, including six (6) direct reports, collaborating with key stakeholders, including OEE Core Functions, and driving the development and launch of new programming. This person will administratively lead the development and launch of all new programming, including programs with international academic partners, HMS hospital affiliates, funding agencies, and key stakeholders. In addition, the Senior Director will be expected to foster a sense of entrepreneurship, align goals, and create a programmatic, client, and partnership portfolio that will benefit the School.
The Office for External Education is a highly entrepreneurial department within Harvard Medical School delivering a portfolio of innovative medical education opportunities, through live, online, and blended programming as well as digital, multimedia, and print resources, to a breadth of learners, including current and aspiring health care professionals; leaders at all levels within companies that serve the health care industry; and individuals seeking to live healthier lives. Since its inception in 2014, the Office for External Education has expanded in size and scope and is supported by a team of nearly 200 faculty and staff. Revenues are generated through B2B and B2C relationships, as well as grant and gift funding. Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME), reaches over 30K learners annually, offering a wide range of educational opportunities for physicians, researchers, and other healthcare providers to stay up-to-date on the latest advancements in medical research and clinical practice through certificates, continuing education, and master's programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage annual PGME program budgets with annual revenues of $55M in collaboration with the Sr. Associate Dean, PGME and OEE Finance
- Oversee planning and implementing sales, for products and programs targeted toward existing and new markets
- Oversee accredited and non-accredited academic and educational activities
- Cultivate and develop new business development opportunities and relationships with external entities in support of PGME programming
- Draft and execute letters of agreement between HMS PGME and partner entities, working with the Office of General Counsel and appropriate finance offices within HU to ensure adherence to University guidelines and policies
- Ensure that program deadlines are met on time and on budget
- Establish process for data to define and drive operational objectives and provide recommendations to PGME and OEE strategic plans and reviews
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to develop a strategy to foster innovation specific to PGME and OEE strategy, including identifying and leveraging key resources
- Manage, recruit, motivate, mentor, and retain a team of high-quality staff, as well as collaborate with OEE and HMS/HR
- Collaborate with team members to create a culture of continuous improvement around cohesive, streamlined work process and the implementation of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) recommendations in continuing education, certificate, and master's programs
- Strategic planning to align PGME programming with the mission and financial goals and expand reach to a larger, more diverse worldwide audience
- Ability to execute the strategic plan through the development and successful launch of new programs and ensure the success of existing programs
- Willingness to travel where necessary (both domestic & international) for onsite program support, business development meetings, stewardship of existing relationships with program partners and supporters, and student recruitment for potential PGME program participants
- A bachelor's degree
- 7-10+ years of professional experience especially in the areas of business development
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and negotiate with senior-level managers and a variety of key stakeholders, including faculty, scientists, scholars, policymakers, and high-level leaders in the public, non-profit and private sectors globally
- Experience in developing and managing programs within the US and internationally
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop budgets and perform expenses analysis
- Project management and process improvement experience
- Coaching, supervision, and staffing experience
- Entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility, and ability to meet competing deadlines
- Leadership experience motivating and empowering teams to work toward common goals
- Commitment to teamwork in a fast-paced work environment
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Ability to solve business issues diplomatically and professionally
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and Salesforce
- Demonstrated cross-cultural competencies, and agility in navigating cultural differences and communication styles
- MBA or Master's in a related field preferred
This position will be based in Boston. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you will begin your work remotely. All remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA). The fully remote nature of this job is only temporary. Once the University and your supervisor determine that it is appropriate, in-person on- campus work will be required as a condition of continued employment. This department actively supports some remote work (within a state in which Harvard is registered to do business) where business and team needs allow. Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage
. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University's COVID-19 Information Website
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community
to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Salary Grade: 061
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or TemporaryCommitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community ValuesEEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Connections working at Harvard University Medical School
About Harvard University Medical School
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.