Location: USA - MA - Cambridge
The Bloomberg Center for Cities at Harvard University seeks a knowledgeable, energetic, and thorough front-end developer with application and website development and maintenance experience plus some design capabilities to play a central role in developing business solutions and delivering products across digital channels. This role is responsible for all aspects of the application development cycle including coding software solutions.
Building on the success of the Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative, the University-wide Bloomberg Center for Cities aims to strengthen city leadership and governance and serve as a destination for world-class programs, teaching, and research on cities. The Center brings together faculty, students, and expertise from around Harvard to engage in continuous interaction with practice.
The ideal candidate will possess experience as a technical lead in charge of coding, managing, maintaining, and adapting high-visibility applications and websites. We seek applicants who are adept at front-end web development, with some video management and/or graphic design skills; a solid understanding of strategic approaches and tactics to reach target audiences; eagerness to measure results and seek improvement; bedrock communications skills; plus a collaborative spirit and customer service orientation. Willingness to explore and learn new methods and tools is essential. This role will report to the Senior Director of Communications.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Providing communications support with primary responsibility for software development life cycle in collaboration with external resources, maintenance, changes, and feature additions
Implementing and supporting technical solutions to deliver business requirements
Resizing and producing graphics for digital channels
Reporting and analytics across digital platforms.
Contributing ideas to coding best practices and new technologies
Drawing on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients
Abiding by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies, and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of two years' post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Capabilities as a strong project coordinator and problem-solver
- Experience working collaboratively with, providing technical advice to, and seeking the input of communications team members, internal clients, and external vendors or clients to inform final deliverables
- Track record of producing and iterating high-quality digital solutions
- Demonstrable success with development in WordPress and/or Drupal
- Understanding of website coding and development processes and standards, including collaboration workflows, versioning and quality assurance, configuring back-end services such as web hosting and DNS systems, mobile-responsive design, accessibility standards, and privacy/security requirements
- Commitment to writing readable, maintainable, testable, documented code
- Interest in data visualization
- Comfort with communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Able to adapt to an ever-changing role that's oriented towards solving current challenges
- Willingness to explore and learn new technologies
- Facility with design and multimedia creative tools such as the Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, Final Cut Pro, Vimeo, or Facebook/Instagram video is a plus
- Understanding of one or more CRM/marketing tools such as MailChimp, Pardot, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, or Hubspot
- Careful management of constituent data through tools and activities like signup forms, marketing emails, segmentation approaches, and data integration and hygiene
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office/Office 365
- Some prior knowledge of Salesforce, Dropbox, Slack and Slack integrations a plus
- A strong work ethic and resolute integrity
- Excellent interpersonal skills that resonate with diverse audiences
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- We are committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive team of staff, students, and faculty, and we seek candidates who share our commitment and values.
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- Work is performed in an office setting
Additional InformationThis position is a fully benefits-eligible term appointment ending one year from date of hire, with strong possibility of renewal/extension.
- We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide visa sponsorship.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background checks.
- Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
This is a hybrid position based on our campus in Cambridge, MA. As a campus-based institution, we place a high value on the in-person experience, cross-team collaboration, and strong community building in order to create a vibrant campus for our students, faculty, staff, and research fellows. The position is required to work in-person on campus a minimum of three days per week during the academic year. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University's COVID-19 Information Website.
Salary Range: $70,800 - $122,800
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate's relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3-4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Salary Grade: 057
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or TemporaryCommitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingHarvard Kennedy School's Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Anti-Racism
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership—because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School's commitment to diversity, equity, and anti-racism. EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Connections working at Harvard University Kennedy School
About Harvard University Kennedy School
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.