Location: USA - MA - Boston
The candidate will assist with and help coordinate the daily operations of the investigators funded research projects. Will support the development of grant applications and preparing presentations and manuscripts, including creating tables and figures in Excel, PowerPoint, and other software packages, and managing references. The RA will participate in team meetings and take minutes of meetings for distribution to the research team. Will perform literature reviews as needed and, in the preparation, and revisions of manuscripts for publication. Will manage IRB applications and renewals and will assist with other projects as needed.
The RA will also use statistical software to work with large datasets, including insurance claims datasets. Develop data files that can be analyzed (cleaning the data) and use statistical analysis (under the direction of the investigator) to analyze the data.
- Two or more years of related research experience required (relevant coursework may count towards experience). Higher education may count towards experience.
- Proficiency in using statistical software packages such as STATA.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree preferably in the field of specific research study, with a preference for coursework in a social science field (economics, statistics, or sociology with a quantitative focus).
- Background in statistical programming (STATA preferred) and a basic understanding of economics/econometrics are strongly encouraged. Must be proficient with most computer software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must have a good working knowledge of statistical software, in particular, STATA. Competency with LaTeX preferred. Must learn other software as needed.
- Expected to have strong writing skills to allow for the drafting of manuscripts based on the analyses.
- Must demonstrate interest, experience, or background in the area of health policy and/or health services organization, financing, and delivery.
- Independent judgment, patience, and excellent communication skills are required to respond effectively to varied/complex tasks.
- Organizational skills and attention to detail are required.
- Flexibility and the ability to work with a team are essential.
- Must be able to maintain a calm and cooperative attitude during periods of increased staff activity.
This is a one-year term position from the date of hire, with the possibility of extension, contingent upon work performance and continued funding to support the position.
This position is based in Boston and some in-person on-campus work will be required, and flexible/remote work is an option. Any remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA). Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage
. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University's COVID-19 Information Website
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community
to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Salary Grade: 054
Union: 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech WorkersCommitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community ValuesEEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Connections working at Harvard University Medical School
About Harvard University Medical School
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.