Location: USA - MA - Cambridge
Within the Academic Deans' Office, the Academic Planning team coordinates faculty and course administration for Harvard Kennedy School degree programs. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Academic Planning, the Academic Planning Coordinator is responsible for front-line customer service and all administrative logistics of the Teaching Assistant (TA) Program, Research Assistant hiring, and additional support of the Academic Deans' Office. The Academic Planning Coordinator is responsible for a wide range of operational and communication activities and ensures that all processes run smoothly and efficiently. This role serves as a primary point of contact and information source at Harvard Kennedy School for the TA Program, requiring extensive contact with faculty, staff, and students to ensure a high level of customer service.
Position DescriptionResponsibilities include:
TA application process:
TA and RA hiring:
- Create and maintain the TA application and job listing page while soliciting applications for over 400 positions annually.
- Send regular communication to students throughout the application period and respond to student questions.
- Share applications with faculty and confirm TA selection while advising on policies.
TA and RA payroll and time approval:
- Serve as the first point of contact for questions on the hiring process, working to ensure timely appointment activations, and following-up with Human Resources, Office of Financial Services, TAs, and RAs when necessary.
- Prepare and send offers and appointment letters while carefully tracking data and assuring compliance with Harvard University hiring policies.
- Coordinate all TA and RA hiring paperwork and submit to Human Resources. Maintain detailed records and follow-up to collect and confirm all hiring information.
Other TA support:
- Serve as the first point of contact by working directly with students to clarify issues related to payroll and time submission. Liaise with Human Resources and Office of Financial Services to solve problems related to payroll, bringing in the Assistant Director as needed.
- Approve weekly time entry, collect timesheets, and enter time in PeopleSoft. Obtain approval from faculty as necessary and confirm with students in a timely manner.
- Track time submissions and send frequent reminders to those who are missing reported time.
Other Academic Planning support:
- Assist with TA Orientation planning and provide admin support during TA Orientation.
- Assist the Assistant Director with end of year TA awards.
- Financial admin, including department expense approvals, journals, and reporting.
- Update department websites as needed.
- Support related and special projects as needed.
Minimum of 5 years' experience in customer service-oriented and/or administrative support role(s), ideally in an academic setting. Internships will count toward experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- College degree strongly preferred.
- Works independently with minimal supervision in a fast-paced work environment of multiple and conflicting priorities; anticipates and resolves problems and updates supervisor on status of projects.
- High level of maturity and empathy with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills with ability to prioritize work.
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion.
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheet, and database management experience.
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
This is a hybrid position based on our campus in Cambridge, MA. As a campus-based institution, we place a high value on the in-person experience, cross-team collaboration, and strong community building in order to create a vibrant campus for our students, faculty, staff, and research fellows. The position is required to work in-person on campus a minimum of three days per week during the academic year. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University's COVID-19 Information Website.
Salary Range: $58,965 - $93,830
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate's relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Salary Grade: 055
Union: 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech WorkersCommitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingHarvard Kennedy School's Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Anti-Racism
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership—because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School's commitment to Diversity Equity, and Anti-Racism. EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Connections working at Harvard University Kennedy School
About Harvard University Kennedy School
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.